Thank you for join me on my culinary adventure as I sample and document all my (hopefully) tasty and creative meals. I'm looking to expand my eating and cooking horizons, as long as they don't involve mushrooms or olives, or most meats......

I hope you enjoy my food blog (flog?)

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Walnuts

I am a recent convert to Brussels Sprouts; I remember as a kid the thought of them used to make me cringe. (I'm forcing myself to write "Brussels" because that's the correct way, but it looks so wonky.)

Then one night at a fancy restaurant, Dan's dinner came with a side of the tiny cabbages, and they were incredible!

Turns out Brussels are only disgusting when prepared how everything was prepared in the 80's. Frozen and microwaved.

I typically roast them, but I was looking for something a little fancier for a New Years side dish (to go with this pork). Dan suggested we just do the recipe that was linked with the pork, and voila:



Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Walnuts

2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon walnut oil (I used Olive Oil)
4 slices thick cut bacon (I used turkey bacon)
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts
kosher salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste


Directions:
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, and oil; set aside.


In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, cut or crumble into pieces, and set aside. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of drippings in pan (if there aren’t enough drippings to equal 2 tbsp, add a little butter or oil).


Heat drippings over medium-high then add shredded Brussels sprouts. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until just tender. Remove from heat and stir in bacon, walnuts, and dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.


We all loved them. I chopped all the Brussels by hand because I thought it would be easier than cleaning the food processor. Do not make this mistake. My fingers actually went numb from holding the knife so long.

FYI: I made this again a week later, just halving the Brussels, and it was just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment